Saturday 11 January 2014

Further Planning

Waiting eagerly for 2014 to arrive, I began tentatively researching each location and decided to focus first on just how I’d get there.  It seemed logical to me to make use of the UK’s extensive rail network to get to each City (namely because I don’t actually own a car, buses would take too long and flying would only be possible for 1 or 2 of the larger locations).  It remains to be seen just how expensive rail travel will prove to be, but for now this research would enable me to get a sense of just how long I’d be travelling each weekend.  I was delighted to discover that nearly all of the UK’s Cities are accessible from London directly by rail.  There are 6 English cities that cannot be reached in this way, although 4 of those require just one change along the way.  That leaves just 2 Cities (Ripon and Wells) that I’d need to seek an alternative method to get to as neither of them have a station within their boundaries. 

Wales looks to be slightly trickier as 2 of its 6 Cities are not connected to the rail network, although St David’s is only a 40 minute drive from Haverfordwest, which does have a direct connection to London.  So that leaves me with only needing to work out how to get to tiny St Asaph’s. 


I was somewhat shocked to discover that all of Scotland’s Cities have direct routes from London, although obviously the journeys will be lengthy and time consuming, and I imagine the prices not too cheap.  That’s certainly something to think about, perhaps a flight or two would be preferable after all when visiting these places.

No comments:

Post a Comment